Wednesday, April 14

Going with the Seasons

Hello dear readers! So, my darling sister Cinnamon has been complaining that I'm too hesitant to reveal anything about myself and my life on this blog. My initial thought was, well, living in grey old London, in a little flat on the top floor of a building (i.e., no garden and no kids), what am I supposed to share? ;)

So let me share with you a little of my day today (don't worry, there's a recipe at the end). I'm learning to play the guitar, and I had my weekly lesson this morning. The reason I'm learning guitar at this ripe old age is that I've always loved music and, since I changed the course of my life last year, I've started to write songs. And being able to play the guitar helps a lot with the songwriting. The song I learned in today's lesson is Jason Mraz's "I'm Yours", and it's a beautiful song, with very meaningful lyrics. I'm sure most of you have heard it already. Some of the lines really spoke to me this morning, and I wanted to share them with you.

"I've been spending way too long checking my tongue in the mirror
And bending over backwards just to try to see it clearer
But my breath fogged up the glass
And so I drew a face and I laughed
I guess what I be saying is there ain't no better reason
To rid yourself of vanity and just go with the seasons
It's what we aim to do
Our name is our virtue
"

And so in the spirit of just going with the seasons, here is a dish of simple pleasures. This made up part of lunch today.

1. Toast two thin slices of millet bread. You can substitute your favourite bread, but I like millet because it has a dense nutty, crunchy flavour and texture when toasted. I'd recommend using a bread that's not too light and airy, because something heavier will go well with the smoothness of the next ingredient.

2. Layer the bread with slices of freshly cut avocado.

3. Spritz some good quality olive oil onto the avocado slices. (Spraying on the oil instead of pouring it gives it a lighter flavour and a more even coating.)

4. Add some pepper from a pepper mill.

5. Sprinkle some flakes of parmesan cheese.

And there you have it! A yummy Italian-inspired dish to have as part of lunch (with soup, for example) or as a snack on its own.

Love

Truffle

1 comment:

Boudicca said...

Love this song, and like this recipe!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...